Everyone knows that bacteria can be harmful to your health. However, there are good bacteria that you should be aware of that have positive side effects and can help you achieve better health. One example is acidophilus.
Acidophilus or lactobacillus acidophilus is the most commonly used “good” bacteria. These bacteria inhabit the intestines and vagina and protect against the entrance and proliferation of harmful organisms that can cause diseases.
Acidophilus protects the body in many ways and offers a variety of potential therapeutic uses. These include:
• Aids digestion and suppresses disease-causing bacteria
• Treats overgrowth of bad organisms in the gastrointestinal tract
• Prevents and treats diarrhea, including infectious diarrhea, particularly from the rotavirus
• Alleviates symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome and possibly, inflammatory bowel disease
• Replaces the friendly intestinal bacteria that are destroyed by antibiotics.
• Prevents and reduces the recurrence of vaginal yeast infection, urinary tract infections, and cystitis
• Improves lactose absorption in people who are lactose intolerant
• Enhances the immune response. Studies have suggested that the consumption of yogurt and milk that contains specific strains of acidophilus supplements improve the natural immune response
• Aids the treatment of respiratory infections such as sinusitis, bronchitis, and pneumonia
• Lowers the risks of allergies such as asthma, hay fever, allergies to milk, and skin reactions such as eczema
• Helps with treating high cholesterol
Acidophilus is one of the good bacteria that should be part of your daily diet. Consider adding a probiotic like acidophilus to your daily health routine.